The 365 Day Non-Consumption Challenge

I have challenged myself to go 365 days (started on Aug 1, 2011) without purchasing new, off-the-shelf items.

What does that mean?Lets say I need to buy a new backpack for my daughter for school...I have to find that backpack in some way (thrift, friend, etc.) that doesn't require me buying a brand new, never before used item. Essentially I want everything I purchase to be giving me their "second life".

Why?
#1 The environmental impact used to produce, ship and package new items while perfectly good ones sit in consignment stores, thrift stores and basements.
#2 To challenge the idea that status=belongings. To rethink the phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins" and prove (even if just to myself) that I am the sum of my actions, not my belongings.

So NO buying items brand new for 365 days.
(p.s. I am not a martyr so exclusions will apply to things like runners, undies, etc. to make this realistic it has to be achievable...no recycled TP) see "ground rules" post below for more details.

Stay tuned...

Thursday 25 August 2011

A tale of two GUCCI's

So one would ask can you have your cake and eat it too? Or, in my case,
have your Gucci and not buy new?

I say yes you can! And here is the story of two wonderful things (both bought for under $20).

The first a vintage Gucci day timer/agenda bought at "Kay's Korner" in Victoria.

The day timer was on sale for $15.00!!!

 It is very fantastic with rings inside for papers and a slot that will hold an ipad! Not that I have an ipad but if I did it would be perfect! in the meantime I plan on using it as a vision binder posting reminder notes to myself of all my goals and dreams. My sister found it for me and had to grab it, she did good!

The fact that it matches My Gucci Pelham bag is a bonus!



how pretty are you?
The second fantastic find...

This is why, when you are driving through a small town and you see the crazy thrift store you should stop! let me set the stage:

Enter: Mill Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C., me and my sister.

Me: "Salvation Army! We gotta stop."
Sister: "I've been there a million times they never have anything good"
Me: "I wanna go."
Sister: "I'm staying in the car"


Me being me didn't care what she said and entered anyway, and let me tell you this store is in the middle of NOWHERE beside a gas station, surround by trees. My first stop was the showcase, as it was just inside the front door and low and behold look at what is inside. I calmly ask the clerk to see it, read the price tag and hand over my debit. As the sale goes through...

Clerk: "You don't think it is real do you?"
Me: "I know it's real."
Clerk: "How do you know it is real?"

Debit pin pad reads approved, I grab my receipt and reply,
"I work in designer handbags, one of which is Gucci. Thanks!"

Ahhh... that was a priceless moment! My sister freaked out and insisted we go back into the store and scour it for more goodies...

This happened a few years ago when I was still employed at a high end Canadian retailer, and I recently sold the bag on Kijiji for $350. I never used it, I am more of a hobo bag girl and if you read my last post you know I have a tiny house and need to conserve space!

That reminds me, I forgot to tell you the price I paid...
the bag was $18.00
so I made $338 dollars on that deal! Not bad.

You never know what your going to find....
which leads me to a new slang term, as I have evolved
from a fashionista...
to a frugalista...
to a treasure-ista: "a person who still loves the good stuff but is happy to buy it in a way that limits impact on raw materials and is economically responsible (I don't do debt!)"

Got any good stories out there you want to share? Or something fantastic that you just don't have space for anymore? Send me a message and I'll give you a post! I know there is other Treasure-istas out there...

Enjoy your day,
L

savings calculator: Adding $588.oo (see bottom of blog for running total.
Day timer $250 (I would have bought a good quality one, I like my things to last.)
Handbag $338 (new Gucci Boston bag is easily $800 but this one was vintage...)

No comments:

Post a Comment