The 365 Day Non-Consumption Challenge

I have challenged myself to go 365 days (started on Aug 1, 2011) without purchasing new, off-the-shelf items.

What does that mean?Lets say I need to buy a new backpack for my daughter for school...I have to find that backpack in some way (thrift, friend, etc.) that doesn't require me buying a brand new, never before used item. Essentially I want everything I purchase to be giving me their "second life".

Why?
#1 The environmental impact used to produce, ship and package new items while perfectly good ones sit in consignment stores, thrift stores and basements.
#2 To challenge the idea that status=belongings. To rethink the phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins" and prove (even if just to myself) that I am the sum of my actions, not my belongings.

So NO buying items brand new for 365 days.
(p.s. I am not a martyr so exclusions will apply to things like runners, undies, etc. to make this realistic it has to be achievable...no recycled TP) see "ground rules" post below for more details.

Stay tuned...

Wednesday 9 November 2011

It's been a while...Did I fail? Or just give up?

Neither!

I am committed to this thing!

Not because it makes fun blogging or because I am tight on cash but because it makes a difference in my life and in who I am.
I think part of the reason why I needed to step back was because I was having a hard time expressing this, because yes the 365NCC has saved me a ton of cash and I love knowing that when I buy something re-used there is less waste going into our landfills but it is more than that...

I feel in control!
I feel Relief!
I feel Happiness!

There is a Psychology to the way a store is laid out...for example most people enter a store and go right (try it out, I bet you go right). Well there is also the well known tick of putting what you need to buy (milk) at the back of the shop so you walk buy the things you don't need (chips, pop, chocolate) to get there (in fact now that I think about it the milk is usually behind the chip aisle too!). This is all done so that you purchase things you never came for but part with your cash none the less.

I sometimes buy baby cookies and other baby nummies from the "Real Canadian Superstore" where I have to walk past all the women's (very cheap and cheerful) clothing, then through the toddler clothing to get to the needed baby food. This would ALWAYS cost me extra cash and TIME, plus the things I would talk myself into buying was stuff I really never needed in the first place.

Now I pass through effortlessly, saving money and time, and I leave feeling in control (for not succumbing to the marketing), relief (for not wasting time and money) and happiness.


So yea, I failed to write anything for 2 months but NO I did not fail the challenge.

This is the reason:


I have a Puppy! Her name is Souris and she is superstar but between that and the kids starting school time to blog evaporated but I have had many fun second hand trips and still wonderful things to share so I hope you keep reading!

Enjoy your day,
L

p.s. Feedback keeps me motivated so please comment!

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for the great post, and all the inspiration! I love hearing all about your experiences.....keep it up hon! cheers, your pal, Jessica B

    ReplyDelete