The 365 Day Non-Consumption Challenge

I have challenged myself to go 365 days (started on Aug 1, 2011) without purchasing new, off-the-shelf items.

What does that mean?Lets say I need to buy a new backpack for my daughter for school...I have to find that backpack in some way (thrift, friend, etc.) that doesn't require me buying a brand new, never before used item. Essentially I want everything I purchase to be giving me their "second life".

Why?
#1 The environmental impact used to produce, ship and package new items while perfectly good ones sit in consignment stores, thrift stores and basements.
#2 To challenge the idea that status=belongings. To rethink the phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins" and prove (even if just to myself) that I am the sum of my actions, not my belongings.

So NO buying items brand new for 365 days.
(p.s. I am not a martyr so exclusions will apply to things like runners, undies, etc. to make this realistic it has to be achievable...no recycled TP) see "ground rules" post below for more details.

Stay tuned...

Saturday 20 August 2011

No buying new? In Victoria? What???

So I'm in Victoria for the second leg of my vacation and, as you know, no buying new.

Oh yeah and I'm traveling with my 10 month old who needs:

- an umbrella stroller.
- a portable high chair.

My childless (aka lots of money and free time)  sister wouldn't have either of these things on hand so I had to buy it there.
So as were walking around the "Fashion District" I stumble upon this great invention in a very upscale boutique:
By Hoola Loops

How cool is that?  It easy, compact, and $38 brand new on the shelf.

This is when my sister turns to me and says "you can't buy it. Ha, ha. I guess you'll have to find it in a kids consignment store."

Yep, she was right. So with only a bit of non-buyers remorse I left,
but I didn't forget...

Enter "Sailor Jack"


www.sailorjack.ca

We head over to this wonderful little shop and the very first thing I do is walk up to the counter and ask, "Do you have a portable high chair?"
Yeah they do!
And it's almost identical the one I had seen, actually it's better because it has a purple crown motif and my baby's a princess for sure.
So for 15 bucks I grab the perfect chair and another $13.00 later I score a pretty princess umbrella stroller as well. (Adding $42 to the savings calculator.)

So glad I didn't succumb to temptation!


Thanks Sailor Jack!

Enjoy your day,
L


2 comments:

  1. http://www.calgaryherald.com/Woman+spends+years+living+without+money/5279653/story.html

    I thought of you when I saw this in the Saturday Herald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary.

    That is some serious commitment!

    Hope you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete